Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Music For the Masses


Music like sport has become an elitist pursuit. Only people who excel at either activity tend to pursue them.
Recently I have reclaimed my musical life in the hopes of advancing my daughter's interest in playing a musical instrument. I found myself feeling slightly disheartened when I realized no amount of practice would make me James Galway, famous Irish Flutist. But after a few session of playing with my daughter, I felt much better. Here was a family activity, that was enjoyable and educational. Music, and the ability to play and instrament, no matter how amateurishly, has always been a means of relaxation to me. The accomplishment of playing a tune through with no mistakes replenishes my soul.
This is an activity too few people pursue. Music has become a spectator sport. Music, like physical education, is focused on the best and most capable players. Pick up a tin whistle or a recorder, it's a low cost investment that may bring you hours of pleasure.

Note: a radio documentary about the place of music in our lives is available for download at
http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4762468/cbc_Radio_-_The_Nerve

No comments:

Post a Comment