Search This Blog

Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Dating status


For as many short years as I have been on Facebook, there has been a lack of relationship status labeled:Dating. This annoys me to no end every time my romantic life moves up a notch. I am not in a relationship, I am hanging out, dating. Is there no room for dating in this fast paced gotta-have-everything, gotta-have-it-now world? There seems to be no stepping stone from Single to In a relationship.

Thirty years ago, dating is what people did; take your time, get to know people. Now it seems that everyone is in such a rush to be secured with a partner that they don't want to take the time to get to know someone before they decide to announce publicly that they are "involved".

And then there is the inevitable break-up posting. You have all seen it: the relationship status changes from Engaged to Single. That's crushing. All your FB friends will rally and trash talk your ex in hundreds of sympathetic postings. But next week when your status changes again, your friends can not undo all the pity posts and you are left to reflect on how either your friends or your mate is a jerk.

The best policy is to remain electronically single. I shall undoubtedly post in the singular for many moons. I have no intentions of having a FB record of my limited love life.

No comments:

Post a Comment