Search This Blog

Pages

Monday, February 8, 2010

Bravest Man I Ever Met


The bravest man I ever met, I met today. He's not a crocodile hunter, a U.S. Marine or a snake charmer. He's a student. A student in an upgrading program run out of my work site. He has been out of school for over 30 years and has come back to learn the reading, writing, and arithmetic he missed out on as a kid.
As I helped him with some math problems he told me he wasn't sure it was such a good idea to come back to school now- at this point in his life. I said that education was never wasted no matter what you did with it or when you got it.
We worked out a good method of counting on fingers for simple addition and he really started to make progress. This isn't my job- I was just helping out- but it was the most rewarding teaching experience I have ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment