Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

A civil discourse

The fact that there is a paucity of civility across the political divide is clear but that is not the only place that respectful discussion has been in short supply. With the shouting match of competing dogmas that broadcast news has become, I forgot what it was like to hear, reasoned, respectful interviews.

 

The culture has created a storyboard where politicians and journalists are portrayed as advisories. Under the Trump presidency, what was already floating in the zeitgeist, was hammered down on a daily basis with the president constantly attacking journalists and the media in general.  

 

It has gotten to the point that I joked recently with an interview subject, who was a lawyer, that both of our professions topped the public’s list for ‘most hated.’

 

There is the assumption now, that journalists are out to get politicians, that we want that ‘gottcha’ moment.

 

But journalists, distinct from pundits who seem to have replaced journalists in the never-ending news cycle, exist to serve the public interest and not ride a personal hobby horse into the ground.

 

But it must be admitted, sometimes it is hard to put your feelings aside when someone is clearly lying or deliberately obfuscating.

 

On the other hand, we must consider what this job looks like from the other side of the microphone.

 

Interview subjects submit to our questions and answer to the best of their ability most of the time. In my estimation, that takes some bravery, some intestinal fortitude.

 

I have never been keen to give interviews the few times I have been asked. I get nervous, afraid I’ll say the wrong thing, or fail to make a coherent argument. It’s one of those situations where experience on both sides of the equation makes you a better person.

 

Last week I was in a situation where I asked an interviewee a question that was clearly unexpected. And as they answered the question, I did feel a great deal of respect for their reaction and for the position in which they put themselves; seems a bit like standing in a batting cage with the pitching machine running amok. Taking questions from the press is part of their job description, but that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be afforded recognition for doing it well.

 

This morning I was listening to a podcast that I especially like which always has great reporting – Reveal. On this day I heard a great pair; interviewer and interviewee—clearly at opposite ends of the political spectrum but both affording the other respect.

 

The reporter Al Letson wasn’t throwing softballs but asking the hard questions in a tone that allowed the interviewee pastor Robert Jeffress to reply with respect; without belligerence on either side. I don’t think I have ever heard it done better.  

 

I will always remember this interview as a guide in my profession. And it is my hope that this civil discourse will become so common in the media landscape that it will not elicit comment for its rarity.


No comments:

Post a Comment