Search This Blog

Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

What I am missing

Today as I proof the paper I read an 'In Memory' ad from a wife about her deceased husband. I remember this woman coming in to the office for the past two years to place similar ads in the paper on the anniversary date of her husbands' death. She's not a woman you would take note of if you were walking down the street: she's a senior lady, who, if anything comes across as a bit androgynous. But in her resided a great love and now a great memory of the love she and her husband shared. When I think of her, I think of what I am missing.

I have had thoughts of what my life as a single woman would mean emotionally those two previous years when her 'In Memory' ad came across my desk but this year, those thoughts are tinged with a new potency due to a recent break up I had with a short-term boyfriend. While this relationship was not long, only a few months, it did open my eyes to a life that I had pretty much assumed was not part of my path; a life with a companion.

For a long time I have made my peace with the idea that I would be a single person, then as life happened, that I would be a single person with children.

Being single is what seems simplest to me. I haven't had to accept all those little things that inevitably drive me crazy, or make time for another person other then my children. I have not had to deal with complications, awkwardness, deceptions and other things that often accompany a 'relationship'. I have been able to focus on my little family.

But sometimes I feel I need a break from my little family and that is when new men typically come into my life. For the past five years any relationship I have had has always been one that was outside of my regular life. The men I have dated have not become part of the fabric of my day-to-day life. When I was with them it was like I was a tourist on holiday. And as they say, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

That being said, this latest and shortest relationship, was something different. First of all, he didn't annoy me. And that is a big step forward for me. In any man I have ever been involved with there have been minor things that they did that drove me to distraction; things as simple as how they would pronounce a word with an elongated vowel to as crushing as dirty socks on my side of the bed (you can see now why I have never been married). This man let his dog eat off the dishes—I didn't care. He used double negatives—I didn't care. And most importantly, he didn't read my work-- and I didn't care.

So I felt like I had made progress, had gotten past some of my 'issues'. Unfortunately, maybe he had not gotten past some of his.

Today as I read the 'In Memory' ad from a loving wife I felt a little sad that I wouldn't have this man to tell the days tales to, wouldn't call him this evening to talk about his trip to the city, and wouldn't have a day when I would be missing the love I lost.

The good news is I wrote this.

3 comments:

  1. It is good news that you wrote this. I enjoyed it. I enjoy all your writing.

    May I add about your recent beau.... He didn't annoy you. Yet.

    Marriage is hard. It is long, if you both do it right. There's a lot of sucking it up. And I'm in a good marriage. I consider marrying my husband the best decision of my life. But his personal habits drive me crazy. Still. 16 years later and I am not used to his messes, forgetfulness and disorganized ways. However, I love him and he's my best friend and companion. I'd rather be with him than anyone else. Ironically, I do nothing to get on his nerves. wink wink nudge nudge

    As always, I wish you all the best on your path. Keep writing.

    Finding the right person for you is like finding a needle in a haystack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I deleted the last comment. It shouldn't be there. I was going to say that for everyone seeking companionship, finding the right person to spend the rest of your life with is like finding a needle in a haystack. Many people find this person after they've married someone else. So, embrace your freedom and kiss a few frogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kissed plenty of frogs already Lori--and worse. I have been embracing freedom for almost 20 years. Really and truly happy by myself most of the time but this opened my eyes to being happy with someone when I wasn't in lust overload; that was something new and I liked it. Being alone won't be the same for a while.

    ReplyDelete