Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Fantastic find in Sherbrooke


On Monday I had the good fortune of heading down to Sherbrooke, Nova Scotia to report on a council meeting. I arrived early and took a little walk around.
The first thing I focused on was this brightly coloured bridge that stood out so nicely against our last snow fall.

I stopped into the library to say hello. I worked there last spring teaching computer classes.

Carried on and shot the Post Office. In this area of Nova Scotia we have these lovely Post Offices in most small towns and villages, all built in the early 1900s.

It was a cold and windy day. Hopefully winter's last kick, but I doubt it. I was excited to see someone outside. I asked if I could take his picture and he was more than happy to oblige.

I inquired further and discovered that he and his friends were recording an album in the studio hidden within the unassuming St. Mary's River Lodge.

I was invited inside and got to see this trio of local High School students at work on a dream.
The inaptly named band, The Inadequacies.

I was thrilled to meet these young people and find art in the making on a cold winter day. There is art all around us here in these small communities. Some times it is hidden in the High School kid doodling in their scribbler at the back of the class and sometimes it is in a room at the top of the stairs of an unimposing looking country inn.

In the small village where I live, population 992, on my street alone we have Emmy Alcorn; the artistic director of a theater company who is also a singer/song writer, Jess and Greg, two singer songwriters and myself; a writer. There is talent here everywhere you look and it is inspiring to see these young people starting out artistically.

After a tour of the recording studio I headed out again into the cold afternoon and took a few more shots around town before heading into the the council meeting.


Sherbrooke Coffee shop,The Village Coffee Grind, where I would like to while away the hours.


The 'Old' Sherbrooke Village, which is the tourism draw of this quaint little spot.



It's amazing where life will lead you when you ask a few questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment